The Project Respect Resources List is for all women with experience in the sex industry, including those who have experienced trafficking.
Although we update this list routinely, we recommend checking the links provided for any updates if any details or availability of services have changed.
Ask Izzy is another great searchable database to easily search support services.



See our COVID-19 Support Page in EnglishChinese, Thai & Vietnamese for more information on support as well as access to testing and vaccinations.

Covid-19 relief and recovery: Community Support Directory

The City of Melbourne has created a Covid-19 Relief Support Directory that details the health and support services available to anyone who lives, works or studies in the area. The directory includes information about mental health support, financial services, food relief, housing and medical services. This resource is also available in Chinese (traditional and simplified), Vietnamese, Arabic and Somali.

Rent & Bills Assistance

Dear Landlord

A self-help tool that can identify what actions Victorian renters can take and provide the necessary resources and information to help them avoid eviction.

Dear Landlord first asks a series of questions and, based on the answers it receives:

  • Empowers renters to generate tailored letters to their landlords/real estate agents to negotiate a rent reduction
  • Generates rent reduction agreements to lodge with CAV
  • Provides renters with information on the process of changing or ending rent reduction agreements or Dispute Resolution Orders
  • Helps renters to navigate VCAT proceedings, including generating VCAT review applications for renters who have missed VCAT hearings
  • Provides renters with information on ending leases
  • Provides referrals to renters for specialised legal and financial help.

Dear Landlord can help you if:

  • You are renting a residential property in Victoria, Australia.
  • You rent from a private rental provider, not a public or community housing provider. You may rent directly from the rental provider or through a real estate agency.
  • You are behind in rent or might fall behind in rent.
  • You are an Australian citizen, permanent resident, temporary or any other type of visa holder.

Victoria's Household Energy Saving Package

This program helps Victorians cover the cost of their power bills and make homes more energy efficient.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • You must be a Victorian residential energy consumer (i.e. have a residential electricity account)
  • You must receive one of the following concession benefits: Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card, JobSeeker, Youth Allowance, Austudy or Abstudy, Department of Veterans Affairs, Pensioner Concession Card, Department of Veterans Affairs Gold Card

Utility Relief Grant Scheme

Relief grants for paying overdue energy or water bills are available to low-income Victorians experiencing unexpected hardship. If you have a Health Care Card you may be eligible for a maximum of $650 on each utility type in a two-year period (or $1,300 for households with a single source of energy (e.g. electricity only).

Fine Fixer

Getting a fine really sucks! If you need a better way to understand what to do when you get a fine in Victoria visit Fine Fixer.  

DHHS Energy Concessions

Victorians on low incomes can receive concessions and benefits to help pay their energy bills thanks. If you have a relevant concession card, you may be eligible for one of these concessions.

Electricity, Gas & Water Bills

It's okay to reach out to your utility service provider if you're having trouble paying your electricity, gas or water bills - they are legally required to assist you. The National Debt Helpline has some steps for how to get utility bills under control.

Energy Info Hub

For more advice on saving money on bills, energy concessions, cheaper energy plans, saving energy and getting help with payments visit their website.

Excess Electricity Concession

Provides a discount of 17.5% on electricity usage and service costs above $2,890.45 to eligible customers. 

Excess Gas Concession

Provide a discount of 17.5% on gas usage and service costs above $1,587.82 for the six-month winter period (1 May to 31 October) to eligible customers.

Eligibility for concession schemes: Need to hold a valid concession card (pensioner concession card, health care card, Veterans’ affairs gold card). 


Crisis Payments Available

A one off payment if you’ve experienced an extreme circumstance and are in severe financial hardship.

A one-off payment to help people who are experiencing difficult or extreme circumstances, is available up to 4 times a year. Customers may be eligible if they are:

  • affected by family and domestic violence or other extreme circumstances
  • affected by a natural disaster that is not covered by the Disaster Recovery Payment
  • released from prison or psychiatric confinement
  • arrived in Australia for the first time as a Humanitarian Entrant, or
  • because of a national health crisis, is required to be in quarantine or self-isolate, or care for another person who is required to be in quarantine or self-isolate.

Support From a Social Worker

Centrelink social workers can help customers if they are experiencing a crisis, are in need of support, or are unsure how to access the right assistance.

The social worker help can include short term counselling and confidential support for difficult personal or family issues by exploring options and providing information about, or referrals to, government payments and services and community support services.

Social workers give priority to people with highly complex needs who don’t have support from family or other services in the community:

  • those thinking about suicide
  • those with untreated or unstable mental illness
  • young people
  • those experiencing distress as a result of family and domestic violence, homelessness or hardship, or
  • those caring for someone with disability or serious illness.

If customers are affected by family and domestic violence, social workers can offer short term counselling and support. They can help them access services in the community including:

  • specialist family and domestic violence services
  • emergency accommodation and longer term housing assistance
  • financial assistance
  • counselling
  • health services, and
  • legal services.

Social workers are available and can be contacted by calling 132 850. All you have to do is ask to speak to a social worker. If the customer needs an interpreter, let us know so that we can arrange one prior to calling the customer. 

Daisy - 1800Respect App

Provides information about local support services for those experiencing violence or abuse.

You can visit the websites of support services within the app, meaning it won't show up in your browser history. This can help protect your privacy, especially if another person has access to your phone. 

Free to download on Android or iOS.

Fair Work Ombudsman Help in Your Language

The Fair Work Ombudsman has information on your rights at work in over 30 languages.


Financial Support

Good Sheppard Loans Without Interest

No Interest Loans (NILS) provide individuals and families on low incomes with access to safe, fair and affordable credit.
Loans are available for essential goods and services such as fridges, washing machines, car repairs and medical procedures for up to $1,500. Repayments are set at an affordable amount over 12 to 18 months.

Am I eligible?

  • I have a Health Care Card / Pension Card or earn less than $70,000 a year after tax ($100,000 for couples or people with dependants)
  • I have experienced FV or DV in the last 10 years
  • I can show that I have a capacity to repay the loan

Money Matters Blog

The COVID crisis has had a massive impact on our economy. IDEAS have put together a series of articles to help you to manage your money in these challenging times.

Empire Industry Finance Services

An all-female accounting & bookkeeping firm run by adult industry workers, for the adult industry. Empire Industry offers complimentary 15-minute consultations to assist you with accounting, bookkeeping and tax requirements. 

ATO CALD Resource Kit

Resource Links for multicultural communities to understand what you need to know about the Australian Tax Office in multiple languages.

Crisis Payment for Extreme Circumstances Family and Domestic Violence

Women leaving a violent relationship may qualify to access a one-off payment of up to $5,000 to help them establish a life free of violence. Those in extreme circumstances may be eligible to receive up to 4 payments across a 12 month period to support themselves and their children.

We put a video together with more information on this payment, watch it in English, Chinese, Thai, Korean and Vietnamese.

Free Financial Counselling

Talking with a financial counsellor is now free and available to everybody. 

The easiest and quickest way to speak with a financial counsellor is to call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007. You can also use the live chat service or book an appointment.

Specialist financial counselling services are available for those experiencing Family and Domestic Violence (FDV). Find this help by calling the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 and ask to be referred to your closest service.

WIRE Free Financial Counselling

WIRE offer free one-hour appointments with a financial professional on the first Thursday of every month.

Phone number: 1300 134 130. 


Free Food, Material Aid & Assistance by Area

Frozen Food - Collingwood Senior Citizens Centre

This provides a variety of ready-made frozen meals for international students and visa holders. However, the offer will be open to anyone in need.

All meals will be free and will look to have vegetarian, meat and halal options to cater to dietary requirements.

Mondays & Thursday 10am-12pm.

Empower Food Relief Centres

Empower Food Relief Centres are open Sundays at these 5 locations! They are open to anyone in need who is facing serious food insecurity. 

  • CITY 412 City Road, Southbank VIC 3006
    Sundays 10am – 3pm
  • NORTH EAST 360 Main Road, Lower Plenty VIC 3094
    Sundays 9.30am – 1pm
  • EAST 251 Maroondah Hwy, Ringwood VIC 3134
    Sundays 9.30am – 1pm
  • SOUTH EAST RCS Products, 12 Bormar Drive, Pakenham VIC 3810
    Sundays 9.30am – 1pm
  • GEELONG Rear of 147 Marshalltown Road, Grovedale VIC
    Sundays 9am – 1pm

Free Community Pantry's

Free Food Parcels, Meals, Material Aid and Assistance by Area

Due to Covid-19 please call ahead to confirm opening hours as they may have changed.





International Students

Study Melbourne

Legal services available for international students.

International Student Legal Information

A free resource for international students living in Victoria.

Foodbank Pop Up Store

If you’re an international student in Melbourne struggling to access food, join Foodbank at the pop-up store for free fresh and culturally diverse food. Open 10am - 2pm, every Monday, Wednesday, Friday (excluding public holidays).

230 La Trobe Street, Melbourne. Just bring along your student ID and a shopping bag.

Study Melbourne Food Relief

List of various locations where international students can access free pantry essentials and fresh produce. Please call the providers first as conditions may vary.

Red Cross Emergency Relief Support

Emergency relief is to temporary visa holders, people seeking asylum and people with an uncertain visa status, to help people meet their basic needs, like food, medicine or shelter.

  • Applications will be assessed for all available emergency relief available in your state or territory at that time
  • If eligible, payment amounts will vary according to your situation and family size
  • This is not income support and may not meet all your needs

Apply here.

Health Translations - a complete collection of multilingual information

Translated resources related to:

  • COVID-19
  • Refugees and new arrivals
  • Cervical screening & liver health
  • New multicultural Parent Easy Guides
  • Sexually transmitted infections
  • Dementia helpsheets
  • Men's Health, Diabetes, Thunderstorm Asthma and many more

Resource Centres Melbourne Region

Translating and Interpreting Service

National, free, phone translation service. Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) is for people who do not speak English and for agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients.


Say It Loud

A national website aimed at both LGBTQ+ community members and professionals responding to LGBTQ+ clients experiencing family and intimate partner violence. Say It Loud encourages LGBTQ+ communities to have healthy relationships, get help for unhealthy relationships and support their friends.

Rainbow Door

Rainbow Door is a free specialist LGBTIQA+ (Lesbian, Gay , Bisexual, Transgender and Gender Diverse, Intersex, Queer, Asexual, BrotherBoys, SisterGirls) helpline providing information, support, and referral to all LGBTIQA+ Victorians, their friends and family during the COVID-19 crisis and beyond. This service is run by Switchboard Victoria.
Call 1800 729 367


Intersect aims to enhance the visibility, safety, mental health and wellbeing, social inclusion and sense of belonging amongst LGBTIQ people from multicultural and faith based communities. Supporting the ongoing development of culturally diverse LGBTIQ-inclusive services through increased connection, conversation and understanding.


An online list of doctors and mental health professionals who have been recommended by lesbian and bisexual women in Australia. 

Switchboard Victoria

Provides peer-driven support services for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and gender diverse, intersex, queer and asexual (LGBTIQA+) people, their families, allies and communities.
Call 1800 184 527 or online chat (3pm to 12am, every day)

National LGBTI Health Alliance

Resources for the LGBTI community and allies.


WithRespect provides resources, tips and advice for LGBTIQ+ people on having and maintaining healthy relationships. We also provide support for LGBTIQ+ people of all ages and their families experiencing difficulty in their relationships, including family violence.

Call 1800 LGBTIQ (1800 542 847)

iHeal - Queerspace

iHeal queerspace provides specialist LGBTIQ+ family violence support and services to survivors of intimate partner and family violence who are no longer in crisis.

Free support which may include:

  • Counselling
  • Case work and advocacy: help navigating courts, child protection, mental health services, housing, AOD services and education
  • Support groups to help reconnection with community and recovery

Call: 03 9663 6733

The Victorian Pride Centre

The Victorian Pride Centre will be home to a range of LGBTIQ+ focused organisations, along with businesses who support the LGBTIQ+ community. See the Victorian Pride Centre Resource Directory.

Email: [email protected]  Street Address: 79-81 Fitzroy Street, St Kilda, VIC 3182 

Women's Health West LGBTIQA+ Resources

A collated list of resources to support LGBTIQA+ inclusion and diversity self-education.

Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Peoples Services

Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation Inc.

The peak body for the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal peoples living in Victoria

Victorian Aboriginal Health Service

If you have symptoms such as a fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose or shortness of breath – book an appointment at VAHS Fitzroy to be tested for COVID-19. The VAHS Fitzroy Respiratory Clinic is open to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and their immediate family members.

CALL 0478 767 140 to book an appointment and get tested

Yarning SafeNStrong

Available 24/7 to offer free and confidential support for:

  • Social and emotional wellbeing
  • Financial wellbeing
  • Medical support including COVID-19 testing
  • Drug and alcohol counselling & rehab services

Call 1800 959 563


Djirra is a place where culture is shared and celebrated, and where practical support is available to all Aboriginal women and particularly Aboriginal people who are currently experiencing family violence, or have in the past.

Call 1800 105 303.

Physical Health

13SICK Home Doctor

If your local GP is closed, call for a bulk billed, after hours doctor home visit. Doctors are available on weeknights from 6pm, on Saturday from midday and all day Sunday and public holidays.
Phone: 13 74 25

Melbourne Sexual Health Clinic

Melbourne Sexual Health Centre is currently open to provide testing and treatment for sexually transmissible infections, including HIV. Monday - Friday 8.30am-5pm.
580 Swanston Street, Carlton, 3053.
Tel: +61 3 9341 6200
Free call: 1800 032 017 


Providing Victorians with reliable information about sexual and reproductive health and help to connect you with services.
The phone line operates weekdays, 10am -4pm, excluding public holidays.

Call: 1800 696 784

Interpreter: 13 14 50


Telehealth provides you with the ability to book a phone appointment with an InstantScripts GP in the comfort of your own home. At the moment InstantScripts GPs are providing medical consults via the phone. Free with a valid Medicare card, $50 without.

Multilingual Library Catalogue

The online catalogue is part of Multicultural Women’s Health Australia, MCWH’s national program to improve the health and wellbeing of immigrant and refugee women across Australia. You can access over 5000 resources in over 70 languages on women's health and wellbeing.

Victoria University Health Clinics

Low-cost (and sometimes free) clinics that provide services to maintain and improve your health. All students, staff, and members of the public are welcome. Clinics include Massage Clinic, Osteopathy Clinic, Psychology Clinic, plus more.

MonkeyPox Information

Here is information on what MonkeyPox is, the symptoms, what to do, how it's transmitted, who's at risk, how to prevent it, treatment and where to get help.

Here is information on MonkeyPox from Thorne Harbour Health and links to pop-up vaccine appointments for those who are eligible.

Healthy Horizons

Harmony Alliance have developed health and wellbeing resources in consultation with women from migrant and refugee backgrounds.

1800 My Options Fact Sheets

1800 My Options have health fact sheets for International Students

Mental Health

Low-Cost Counselling Options

A great list of free and low-cost counselling options available in Metro Melbourne including suburbs in the North, North-East, and West. Qualified psychologists, social workers, family therapists and NDIS registered counsellors are available for no or low-fee. There are various locations offering neuropsychological assessments, group spaces, as well as for individuals, couples and families. Some do not require a GP referral and have interpreters available free of charge.

Locations include:

  • Ascot Vale, Broadmeadows, Bundoora, Collingwood, Craigieburn, East Reservoir, Eltham, Epping, Greensborough, Meadow Heights, Melbourne, Mill Park, Northcote, Preston, West Heidelberg, Whittlesea.

COVID-19 Mental Health Support

The Australian Government will provide 10 additional Medicare subsidised psychological therapy sessions for people subjected to further restrictions in areas impacted by the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. This measure will be available until 30 June 2022.

Counselling and Casework through Richmond Community Health Centre (RCHC)

RCHC is offering free counselling and case work if you have a health care card or your source of income is unreliable. They have drop-in sessions Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday and accept referrals with a wait list between 3-5 weeks.  Drop-In Sessions will need to be booked ahead by calling (03) 9418 9800 so call in the morning to secure your spot. Interpreting is available!

Location: 23 Lennox St, Richmond VIC 3121

Contact: (03) 9418 9800

DHHS Mental Health Resources List

Tips, resources and supports available for feelings associated with COVID-19, including loneliness, isolation, stress and anxiety.

On this list are support specific for:

  • Taking care of mental health whilst isolating with COVID-19
  • Healthcare workers
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
  • LGBTIQ+ communities
  • Carers, consumers, and families
  • Children & young people
  • Culturally and linguistically diverse communities
  • Older people & seniors
  • Parents & families 


Contact Lifeline for support if you are experiencing a personal crisis or need support around your mental health. You can call them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week anywhere in Australia. 
Lifeline 24-hour crisis 131 114

SuicideLine Victoria is a free 24/7 telephone, video and online counselling service offering professional support to people at risk of suicide, people concerned about someone else’s risk of suicide, and people bereaved by suicide. Interpreters are available. 
Call: 1300 651 251 

Beyond Blue Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Service

This is a dedicated phone line, staffed by mental health professionals briefed on the pandemic response.

Call: 1800 512 348 (24 hours, every day). They also have a web chat option.

This COVID-19 specific support is available until 29th November 2022.

Care in Mind

Free 24/7 online and phone counselling for people living, working or studying in Melbourne’s northern, central and western suburbs.

Call: 1300 096 269 (24 hours, every day).

Direct Line

Free and confidential alcohol and drug counselling and referral in Victoria. Chat live online with a professional counsellor.

Call: 1800 888 236 (24 hours, every day).

Wellbeing Coaching

Get support for a range of different issues, including lowered mood, anxiety, substance use or addiction, or any distress you may have.

Call 1300 375 330 or drop by one of the walk-in services.

Free Legal Assistance

Free Online Courses & Programs

Yarra Library Free Online Courses

Wanting to expand your toolkit and pick up new skills, learn a software package, start a side-hustle or re-imagine your approach completely? Check out Yarra Libraries free online courses!

Open Culture

Take online courses from the world’s top universities for free. Here, you will find 1,500 online courses from universities like Stanford, Yale, MIT, Harvard, Oxford and more.  You can use this collection of online courses to learn everything you want – from historyphilosophy and literature, to physicsbiologypsychology, and computer science.

Wesnet Online Safety Resources 

Wesnet has a load of tips and resources to help women staying safe online.  

Harmony Alliance Financial Literacy Course for Women

Harmony Alliance have a 1 hour, free, online literacy course for women.

The course financial systems, earning an income, budgeting and money relationships.

The course is available in English, Arabic, Chinese, Dari, Hazaragi, Karen, Korean, Nepali, Thai and Vietnamese.

This Way Up Stress Management Program

This course is self-guided and teaches skills to manage thoughts, emotions and behaviours that come from stress and improve wellbeing.

COVID-19 Infection Control Training

Short, online, self-paced training for COVID-19 safety. Certificates are ready for download when completed.

As well as the general course, there are also courses for Aged-Care and Indigenous Health.

Mental Health Online Mental Health Programs

Self-paced modules to understand and monitor symptoms, identify and replace unhelpful beliefs and ways of thinking, learn problem-solving techniques and make lifestyle changes to improve your wellbeing. 

Courses are available for Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Social Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Panic Disorder and a Made-4-me tailored program as well as Virtual Reality mindfulness experiences.

Option for Therapist Assist that gives free access to 12 weeks of support from a therapist over phone and email.


Emergency Contacts

In case of emergency please contact:

  • 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732) – available 24/7, speak to someone if you are experiencing family violence 
  • Homeless Crisis Hotline (1800 825 955) – available 24/7, speak to someone if you are homeless or at risk of being homeless 
  • Victoria Police/Ambulance (000) – available 24/7, call for any other emergency 
  • National Coronavirus Helpline (1800 020 080) – for information about COVID-19 and vaccines, and to access the COVID Positive Pathway.

Feedback & Contact

Project Respect values your feedback. You can give your compliments, complaints or ideas for improvement anonymously in our Feedback Form.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Project Respect via email: [email protected] or call/txt/whatsapp: 0477 001 110. 

If you would like to provide feedback or are unhappy with the service you have received, you can contact Project Respect on (03) 9416 3401  or email [email protected] to discuss further or make a complaint.